Romania will be guest of honour at the 2018 edition of the Leipzig International Book Fair.
In order to increase the number of available translations from Romanian into German, the Romanian Cultural Institute, as financer, launches, between 1-30 June 2017, a special call for applications within the Translation and Publication Support Programme (TPS) for financing requests by foreign publishing houses wishing to translate and publish, in German, fiction and non-fiction works by Romanian authors in the fields of literature, arts, social sciences and the humanities.
To apply within the «Leipzig 2018» special call for applications of the TPS programme, the publishing house must undertake to publish the work by 1 March 2018 at the latest.
APPLYING TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By launching the «Leipzig 2018» special call for applications of the TPS programme, the Romanian Cultural Institute aims at supporting the translation and publication, in German, of relevant fiction and non-fiction works belonging to Romanian authors from the fields of literature, arts, social sciences and the humanities.
• promoting the cultural dialogue and dissemination of Romanian culture and civilisation around the world;
• supporting the translation and publication of relevant Romanian works in the German speaking countries.
This special call for applications is strictly reserved for applications submitted by publishing houses (private or public) headquartered outside the territory of Romania which concern the translation and publication, in German, of works by Romanian authors.
TPS will cover translation costs up to 100% (but not exceeding 17 000 EUR) and, in certain cases, production costs (printing, proof-reading, layout, graphic design, binding etc.) up to 50% (but not exceeding 3 000 EUR). For applications requesting only production costs, TPSwill cover an amount not exceeding 9 000 EUR of the eligible costs.
The amount of the financial support to be granted will be determined by the panel of independent experts based on the fulfillment of the evaluation criteria. In order to qualify for financial support, a proposal should score at least 60 out of a total of 100 points subsequent to evaluation.
The amount of the financial support to be granted will be determined in relation to the budget submitted by the applicant providing details for all types of costs.
Payment will be made by the Romanian Cultural Institute (RCI) upon reception of:
• the number of copies of the published work agreed per the grant contract, which must include the acknowledgement of the RCI support on the inside cover of the book;
• invoices and banking documents (statements of account) which certify that the payments were made during the validity period of the grant contract (per the provisions of the grant contract to be concluded between RCI as financer and the publisher).
Payments made by the publisher prior to the conclusion of the grant contract with the Romanian Cultural Institute shall not be supported through the Translation and Publication Support Programme.
The actual amount which shall be granted to the publisher as financial support shall be determined based on the supporting documents which will be submitted to the financier according to the provisions of the financing contract and will by no means exceed the maximum amount of the funding which has been determined by the panel of independent experts following evaluation.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: REIMBURSEMENT BY THE ROMANIAN CULTURAL INSTITUTE WILL BE COMPLETED IN 2018.
TPS WILL NOT SUPPORT THE FOLLOWING:
• works not belonging to Romanian authors;
• text books, collections of papers or proceedings of meetings or conferences;
• books distributed free of charge;
• magazines and journals;
• books published before requesting the TPS support;
• institutional costs including maintenance, payments made as a result of budget deficits, salaries, and other day-to-day expenses of the publisher.
THE EVALUATION WILL TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION THE FOLLOWING:
• the quality of the work (30 points);
• the background of the publishing house, the distribution plan and promotion strategy (20 points);
• the previous experience of the translator (30 points);
• the requested amount in relation to the overall costs of the operation and the proposed print-run of the book (20 points).
For the «LEIPZIG 2018» special call for applications of the Translation and Publication Support programme (TPS), the complete application files may be submitted, by post, between 1 - 30 June 2017 ( postal date).
IMPORTANT NOTICE: IN ORDER TO APPLY WITHIN THIS SPECIAL CALL FOR APPLICATIONS, THE PUBLISHER MUST UNDERTAKE TO PUBLISH THE WORK BY 1 MARCH 2018 AT THE LATEST.
THE APPLICATION FILE MUST INCLUDE:
• an estimated budget sheet of the operation, which should include details about the publisher's own investment;
• in case you apply for a financial support for production costs, you must submit a printing cost quotation supplied by the printing house;
• the distribution plan and promotion strategy of the proposed book;
• the publisher's backlist for the last year;
• a copy of the original work to be translated;
• curriculum vitae of the translator(s) with a detailed presentation of the relevant experience;
• a copy of the translation rights contract or, in the case of a new book, an original copy of the contract concluded between the publisher and the author(s);
• a copy of the contract concluded between the publisher and the translator(s).
Applications which do not contain all the necessary supporting documents will not be taken into consideration and shall not be submitted for evaluation.
The documents supporting the application form may be submitted in one of the following languages: English, French, German, Italian or Spanish.
Complete applications shall be submitted, by post, with the mention „For the TPS Programme - «LEIPZIG 2018»" to the following address:
THE ROMANIAN CULTURAL INSTITUTE
38 Aleea Alexandru, Sector 1
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Applications sent by fax or e-mail will not be taken into consideration. Incomplete applications or applications submitted after the deadline (30 June 2017) will not be considered for evaluation.
The grants are awarded by the TPS Board of experts based on a complete application file. The decision of the jury opens the subvention only subsequent to the approval of the RCI Board ofDirectors, within the available budget. All deliberations of the TPS jury are confidential and not subject to justification. Grants are awarded on condition that the applicant agrees to the terms stipulated in the grant contract, including acknowledgement of the Romanian Cultural Institute's support on the inside cover of the book. In this regard, the publisher is kindly asked to refer to the identity manual of the Romanian Cultural Institute available at http://www.icr.ro/bucuresti/identitate-vizuala/.